Tuesday, May 25, 2021

Behind the Scene

 

Behind the Scene

5/08/2021


 So, I’m walking back to camp from fishing skinny water a mile or so upstream from the Smokemont Campground in Cherokee NC. I caught and missed a few wild trout on Sulphur patterns. I stopped to watch a guy high sticking nymph fishing, or whatever fancy name they call it these days, a narrow wavy run along the bank. What he wasn’t aware of is about 20 yards downstream from him trout were rising. Sulphurs were popping up through the surface sporadically like popcorn kernels in hot oil. Every so often a small Sulphur would appear and rise off the water as if they were in a hurry not to be eaten. I knotted on a small parachute Sulphur and stepped into the shin deep water off the bank.

  I started casting and keyed my casts towards each rising trout. My casts were delicate with the 4 weight double taper fly line with 6x tippet. There was nothing to hamper my casts so I was able to let my Sulphur fall from the sky like the real thing. The fly line touched down with little splash about 8 ½ feet from my offering. I watched the small waves carry my Sulphur dun towards a recent riser. He came up quick like a native brookie in a skinny brook run. I wristed the rod upward and the small wild rainbow scurried about on a tight line. 

  

I didn’t hook them all nor get them all to hand but for about an hour I had fun trying.


 

~doubletaper

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment