Monday, May 6, 2024

Hardy Ultralite NSX SR 8'8" 4 weight Review

 Hardy Ultralite NSX SR 8'8", 4 Weight, 6-Piece fly rod


  I received my Hardy rod in the mail the other day after joining to be a life member of Trout Unlimited. The Hardy reel was back ordered but that wasn't going to stop me from trying the fly rod out.

 Opening the case and unwrapping the rod sock I pulled out the 6 sections of rod. The Pearl Olive blank sparkled under the sunlight. The thread wraps over the titanium stripping guides and durable recoil snake guides look as tough this was a one piece rod. I always liked wooden reel seats so this was a plus. The cork grip was something different. It looked like a reversed half well grip but with an indent for your thumb and index finger. The cork itself was smooth and looked quality cork. It's claim to be a medium fast action rod which I would soon find out for myself. When I put the pieces of rod together I was surprised at how light it was for having so my sleeves. I fitted the rod with an Orvis reel with WF4F line and took it out for a spin.

 Out on the water I had no problems or concerns how it handled. I casted Woolly Buggers, small dry flies and tandem nymph. It was an ease in casting with a flexible tip section that I could feel the rod load behind me. Even when a breeze blew by this rod handled a shooting cast threw the wind well. It roll cast with a little extra effort. I think for being so light, but roll cast well enough to get my flies out where I wanted them.

 Most 4 weights are considered small stream rods. At 8'8" it would fit well into that category. As far as thinking this is only for those smaller fish in small streams go..?  Well, I caught a nice hefty brown on the first outing and, though it might not have tired the trout out as quick as maybe a 5 weight or heavier rod, it stood up to the task of getting the brown to the net with 5x tippet.

 I have no complaints and is a well welcomed fly rod in my fly fishing group of fly rods.


 

 ~doubletaper

 

No comments:

Post a Comment