Here's an easy way I tie zonkers
Zonkers for beginners
hook; streamer hook Mustad 9671
thread; red and black
weight; lead wire .015 or .020
body; mylar tubing
tail; mylar tubing unravelled
wing; rabbit Zonker strip tied down at hook bend with red thread
than pulled forward and tied off behind eye.
hackle; soft grizzly
A. Cut a piece of mylar off and pull out center material if you buy it at a craft store.
B. Thread red thread and black thread in their own bobbins
1. Base red thread on hook shank
counter wrap lead around hook shank 8-10 turns
2. Slip mylar over hook eye and shank leaving some strands unravelled for tail. Tie down with red thread.
3. Lay rabbit strip on hook shank splitting hair where you're going to tie down at just in front of hook bend.
4. Tie down rabbit strip, knot and cut thread. (I add a little head cement to thread.)
5. Push more mylar up hook shaft, behind eye, and base your black thread behind eye
6. Tie down mylar with black thread leaving room behind eye for hackle
7. pull rabbit strip forward, over shank, and tie off behind eye leaving room for
8. Tie in hackle
9. Wind hackle a couple of turns, tie down.
Wrap a nice thread head and whip finish
White and Black Zonkers
Enjoy a beer and admire your work!