Wednesday, May 4, 2022

44° and Sunny

 

44 ° and Sunny

4/28/22


  After a Wednesday high of 37° with snow squalls I decided to wait till Thursday to go out fishing. The expected temperature high was to be 47°, some wind but sunshine. When I awoke Thursday morning it was 32° outside so I decided to have breakfast and tie flies till it warmed up some by noon.

 

  Around noon I see the sun shining brightly outside the camper window while tying flies. I check the outside thermometer and it reads 44°. I walk down and check the crick and the water level has come down a lot and clear enough fishing should be good. I’m excited!

 I dress warm and put on my chest waders and boots before heading to the truck. I drive down stream and back up a short lane. I put on my Gore-Tex heavy rain fishing jacket and assemble my Allen Fly Fishing Icon 9’ fast action rod. I thread the F5WF line through the eyes and snap on a Woolly Bugger to the tippet and walk down to the crick.

  According to the truck thermometer it read 44° but, standing still, it feels like the wind chill might be below 40°. I can feel the coldness on my chapped hands and face. As I step into the water off the bank I can feel the flowing cold water around my waders. A slight chilled breeze whisks across my face almost bringing a tear to my eye. As I wade through the shallower water I think to myself;

“Why do I do this?”

“Why not wait one more day till it’s at least in the 50’s?”

“The suns out!” I say to myself.

I wade nearer the deeper section, make a stand, and cast a line…

 





~doubletaper

No comments:

Post a Comment