Saturday, April 8, 2023

My Bigger Net

 

My Bigger Net

4/04/23


 According to the gauges Tionesta Creek looked high and flowing fast. I grabbed my 4wt 7 1/2’ Powell fly rod and took off for a stocked mountain stream.’

  It didn’t take too long to put my first trout, since the season opener in PA, in my new custom made net. 

 

 I wanted a bigger and deeper net for when I catch the bigger trout. Not that I was looking for a more fancier wood but the Birds Eye Maple caught my eye! With the longer and deeper tear drop I figured would be a great addition to my fly gear.

  Once the sun rays broke through the naked hardwood branches the trout started to become a little more active. Near noon the sun overtook the cloudy sky and tree tops and it was getting pretty warm. I had caught enough trout to be satisfied as I fished my way down stream. I headed for the truck to remove some of my sweaty clothes and decided to drive down stream to fish another section of water. There was a van and a couple of guys fishing the section of crick I wanted to fish so I continued on down stream a little further.

  Being it was a Tuesady I didn’t figure there would be too many fishermen out. The first day weekend, April 1st, was a washout with rain, high and muddy water. I’m sure the water conditions weren’t much tolerable here in Western PA., so when I got out Tuesday I figured there should be lots of stocked trout and maybe I’ll hook into one of those big ones.

  I parked along the roadside and made my way down the steep bank to the crick. I played around and caught a dozen or so rainbows in a deep hole near the bank and caught one brown trout.


 
 

  Mid stream and further out looked more inviting with riffling water where trout would be holding. Where I was I didn’t have room for a back cast and with the short rod my roll casting ability wasn’t going to get my streamers out there. I decided to take the long walk downstream and cross over to the other side. As I walked the bank upstream I noticed the water was deeper than it looked like from the other side. I made my stand across crick from where I started from and started to cast out weighted Woolly Buggers and Triple Threat streamers. I’d cast towards the middle of the stream and let them swing deep within the wavy current. The bites didn’t come as quick as in the deeper hole but came enough to keep me busy while I finished off my stogie that I started smoking up crick earlier.

 

  One swing a fish grabbed the bugger swiftly like an infielder snagging a line drive. All of a sudden the line tightened and the fish fought with head shakes under the wavy current. I started to bring him in, like the other trout, but this one pulled back hard with force. The rod bowed good and I instantly tightened my grip over the cork handle. Line zipped through the guides as the tension spool spun. The 7 1/2’ fly rod flexed with the never ending head shakes. I knew I had a heavy trout.

  For awhile we fought each other like two angry dogs tugging against one another over a stuffed dog toy. He came to the surface a couple of times. His rainbow lateral line shimmered under the golden sun like a red metallic streamer at an outdoor fiesta party.

  I knew it would be hard getting him to the net in the fast current in front of me so I slowly waded down crick to slower current keeping side pressure on him. He refused to come near the shallow water I was standing in with quick tail swats and darting away so I waded out knee deep. Getting him within distance I could tell my ‘bigger’ net would be no problem getting him in it. Close enough, I scooped him up with one swipe of my hand and carried him to the bank. Yep, this is what I was looking for!

 

 After the release I checked my hook, line and knots making sure everything looked good. I took out an Ave Maria Divinia and lit it up. 

 

 I could again feel the warmth of the sun after my concentration was dedicated to getting the big rainbow in. I had an appointment with an insurance agent and I knew I would have to be going soon. It was a ways down to the shallowest water where I crossed so I slowly started to fish my way down crick casting the bugger as I went. I caught one more brown and a frisky, jumpy rainbow before I hooked into another good size trout.


 

  I just had the bugger swaying beneath the surface down stream when I felt a bump. I pulled back to set the hook. All of a sudden there was an eruption of water down stream where my bugger should have been. Water splashed in all directions as a fish stirred the water surface. Then he went deep and took off like a feral cat let out of an animal box trap. I could feel his weight within my gripped hands and thought ‘here we go again!’

  This one was wilder than the big trout earlier I hooked. I wasn’t sure if he was trebled hooked before and got loose after an extensive battle but he wanted no part of me or a long fight. He fought tooth and nail and came to the surface a couple of times with tugging force trying to loosen the hook. There were times I was worried he was going to break loose as he darted towards me and than shot outward. The line would twang in a loose than tight state when he turned and took off. The 4 weight kept up with him flexing and holding tension most of the battle. He didn't want any part of the net but I eventually got him in it. He wasn’t as long as the white bellied rainbow I caught earlier. His darker spotted completion and darker underside have me believing he was a holdover from some years back. His ruby gill plate and darker reddish lateral line was faint compared to the bigger rainbow that looked like it just came from the beauty salon and make up artist.

  He was pretty active in the net so I got a quick picture and let him go. Maybe now he’ll be more cautious picking his meals?


  Back at the truck I changed into driving clothes and put my gear away while enjoying an Amstel Light. I finished off token on my stogie on the drive home.

 The bigger net came through and was just what I was hoping for!


 ~doubletaper

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment