Sunday, August 25, 2024

Losers Weepers

Losers Weepers

8/12/24

 


  I paddles my kayak to the stony bank and made sure it was secure not to float down the river without me. I put my tin of poppers and buggers in my shirt pocket and grabbed my 9 fast action Icon fly rod out of the rod holder. Wading out in knee deep water I started to cast a brown bugger out into the riffling water that flowed down into the deeper section of the river. Each cast was further out as I watched the arc of my fly line floating on the surface as my Woolly Bugger swung following the fly line.

  It was around 1:00 by now. I had been floating for about a few of hours and only caught a couple of smaller smallmouth on the bugger. I tried a popper now and then but didn’t get any risers to it. Maybe because the river water was still the color of a chocolate milkshake. The sky above was a deep royal blue with bellowing white clouds moving slowly above the forest tree line.


 

  The sun was bright above, avoiding the white clouds now and then, and shining down upon the river with warmth. A gust of a cooler breeze would be felt at times. The breeze gave no warning as if the river just decided to let out an underwater sigh of cool air. My straw, wide brim Carolina hat, kept the bright sunshine off my face and protected my scalp from getting sunburned.

  As I slowly took small steps casting out I was careful not to slip on the loose stony river bed. A fish grabbed the drifting bugger and I reared back the fly rod to set the hook. He fought like a bigger fish than what I found when I got him in. He knew well how to work the wavy current in his favor. Holding him up, for a picture, I reached for my camera in my shirt pocket. That’s when one of those surprising gusts of wind rose up and blew the Carolina straw hat off my head. I was dumbfounded to say the least.

  My straw hat fell into the water and slowly started to drift with the current. There was no way I was going to scramble across the stony riverbed to try and retrieve it. Besides I was holding a smallmouth by the mouth in my hand. I let the smallmouth go, still connected to my fly line, and tried to direct him towards my drifting hat. Not that I thought it would work but? I gave up and brought the smallie back in my grip for a picture. After the release I looked downriver and watched the crown of my straw hat, and part of the wide brim, slowly floating down stream. 


 

  My straw hat was drifting about a couple feet from the bank and continued on. It made sure it went around any obstacles that were protruding out of the water and out from the bank. It was drifting sooo slow as if tempting me to get in my kayak and try to retrieve it. I watched till it was beyond my vision. I thought maybe it would get caught up in some tangle along the river or maybe drift into a back eddy. I kept on wade fishing for a while and figured on kayaking close to the bank as I continued my way downriver.

  I hooked another smallmouth briefly in the same area I lost my hat. He grabbed the bugger, swam about a foot and exploded out of the water like he got shocked from an electrical fence wire. The bugger went flying and he plopped back into the water free from the hook. After that I spent another half hour and then got back in my kayak and floated down the river.

  Slowly, as I floated and paddled, I searched for my straw hat hoping to see a glimpse of it below the brown stained water or along the bank. I finally drifted into deeper water where I paddled my kayak into a back eddy near the bank. Steady, within the back eddy, I started to cast out the bugger again. On one long cast I was watching the fly line when a fish grabbed it like an eagle, swooping down on a scurrying field mouse, and B-lining it to its nest. The only thing was, with this catch, was attached to my fly line which was attached to my reel and rod.

  The spool spun out fly line that shot out of the tip top straight towards the sprinting swimming fish. He tugged and swam in a straight line towards the opposite bank, maybe getting into shallow water, before turning down river. I watched the fly line cut across the muddy surface water like a bright comet tail streaking through the night sky. He stopped briefly before continuing on up river. I wasn't sure what was below the chocolate stained surface so I held the rod high as I reeled in line keeping the line tight. He swam in haste up river out in front of me a ways before turning down river again with ferocious tugs and pulling the line as if we were in some kind of tug a war contest. I’m not an amateur at this kind of stuff and played him hard, not giving him any more slack, when he toughened. It took some convincing but I finally got him to the kayak safely.

 

 That deserved a rewarding cigar even after losing my hat.


 

  I was pretty close to the canoe launch y now and only fished a little longer. After pulling my kayak ashore I took one more look across and down river hoping to spot my straw hat.

  Back at camp I thought about all the items I could remember that the river swallowed up. Two float fins, on two different occasions, while float tubing while fishing. One hammer anchor that got caught and I was unable to retrieve. An assortment of poppers that either broke off of a hooked fish or simply decided to come un-knotted after a cast. A few Woolly Buggers and other weighted streamers and now a wide brimmed Carolina straw hat. Oh well, the rewards of catching big smallies and trout makes the loss not crying over.

Maybe at some time someone will find such things and wonder how someone else lost them?

~doubletaper


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment