Wednesday, August 21, 2024

Morning River Smallies

 

Morning River Smallies

8/15/24


  The river was still receding from the heavy rain from the past week. It has been clearing up from the chocolate color that was caused by the heavy rainfall. The river was still a bit on the high side but color wise, a fair shade of wet cardboard, I felt was the best day to get out and fish. My mom was in a rehabilitation housing, from hip surgery, and I was planning on visiting her so I had to get back to the camper by noon to head home. I woke up early, ate a quick breakfast and drove upriver where I had caught smallmouth before.

 Stepping into the shin deep water, off the bank, I could tell the water had warmed up a bit from the past chilly evenings, though it has gotten into the 70’s and 80 degrees during the day. I wore a long sleeve ‘t’ shirt under my Columbia button down for the chilly morning. I waded upriver through the shin deep water to where I wanted to make my first cast into the riffling water.

  Green leaf tree branches overhung the river bank as far as my eyes could see, downriver, so thick I couldn’t tell one tree limb from another. The sky was a sheet of blue as if a painter used a wet roller and took one sweep across the top of his canvas with sky blue paint. There wasn’t a cloud in the sky. The sun was still rising behind the mountain and forest behind me which casted a shadow upon the water about 3 quarters across the river. I stood in the shade and had yet to feel the sun warmth. The river though, where the sun rays reached the water, sparkled the small waves like white beach sand blowing across the beach in direct sunlight on the ocean front. Somewhere crows were calling out, as they usually do in the morning, making their presence known. Other than that it was a peaceful easy morning. 

 I waded out knee deep, of my hip waders, and started casting out a long tailed brown Woolly Bugger. I maybe spent about 15 minutes without a take as I slowly waded down river step by step searching for a hungry fish. I tried a popper hoping to raise a curious fish with surface commotion but that didn’t work either.

  The sun was rising above the tree line behind me and slowly uncovering the blanket of shadowed water as if pulling a dark quilt down slowly, on a bed, exposing the white satin sheet underneath. I was hoping the warm sunshine was going to get the fish hungry for breakfast soon because I wasn’t too thrilled how things were going thus far.

 I made a long straight cast across river and watched the weighted bugger plop into the surface. I made a mend upriver so the bugger had time to drop deeper before taking its course down stream with the current. I was watching the arc of the fly line on the surface, as the bugger drifted down river, when it kind of slowed and I felt a nudge bump as if the hook caught a snag below. I pulled up the rod enough to straighten the line and gave a nudge to maybe unhook the snag. To my surprise I thought the snag nudged back and with the rod high enough it was arced without pulling anything in my direction. All of a sudden I felt the rod wiggle and saw the tight fly line sway back and forth cutting the water surface. I yanked back to set the hook deeper and the object on the other end yanked back in disgust. He pulled some line out but not as if he was in a hurry to start a fierce battle with me. I had a feeling I had a heavy fish but he didn’t fight like one as I slowly but cautiously started to reel him towards me. He followed reluctantly, giving a sharp nudge now and then, but nothing too furious. When I got him within two 9’ rod lengths from me, he must have saw me, and that pissed him off! He turned and took off like a kid being spooked in a dark alley by what he thought was a noisy ghost. Line pulled off the spool and spun like a winch attached to a falling tree. I put the 9 footer butt in my gut and held the rod steady as line shot through the eyes. (And I thought I had a lazy fish from the start!) After he swam downriver and out a ways I turned the drag knob a couple of clicks putting more tension on the long line and arcing rod which I felt was bending into the butt section. He slowed down some but his weight was enough that I wasn’t gaining any ground between him and I.

 He fought in the distance with heavy tugs for awhile swimming about at will as if he owned the stage. I kept the rod up, well at least my tight grip on the cork handle, as the rest of the rod was arced towards the fish. During the fight I really wasn’t sure if I had a smallmouth or a big brown trout being it stayed below during the whole battle.

 I swung the rod upstream and he swam in that direction with a tug or two keeping his distance. Slowly I was able to reel some line in closing the distance. Upriver he turned and swam down river within my sight just below the surface. That’s when I was able to see his bronze sides and size as it brightened under the sunshine. The smallmouth continued down river, keeping his distance, and I let him take a little line out that I had reeled in previously. He tugged his way down river and I turned the drag knob a little more putting more tension between us. He turned towards me as the arcing rod and drag tension was too much to fight any more. Closer to me I brought the rod up as he shook the line, splashing, with his head half above the water surface. I reached down and finally got a thumb in his mouth and pinched his lip.

WOW!  The biggest smallmouth I had caught thus far this camping trip. His scaly bronze colored sides kind of glowed as if a spotlight was directed towards him in a museum showcase. There was no doubt he’s been eating well as his belly was well rounded. After the picture I unhooked the brown bugger hanging from his lip and released him back into the river. I thought maybe he would dash away but he just swatted his tail easily and swam away in no haste as if he was glad to have some excitement in his boring life as if he was the successful one.

 

 No doubt that deserved a rewarding cigar!

 

 I continued to fish till a little after 11. I caught three more smallmouth on the bugger. A smaller one, an average size and a bigger one. The biggest of the three put up a good battle.


 

  I figure there is no use making this short story any longer. The star of the show made his appearance, thrilled us with his performance and bowed out gracefully!

~doubletaper

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment